I Don’t Bluff When I Say I Had a Grit & Grind Time.

A few of my best friends, Rachel, Kayla, Gracie, and I had been planning a 3 day trip to Memphis for quite some time now. When we finally found a few days that worked in our busy Christmas break schedule, we were ecstatic.

The whole point of the trip was to visit our sorority, Kappa Delta, Headquarters and stay to visit Rachel’s sister, Sara, and her husband, Tim. The more we talked the more we discovered that we had to go to the Memphis Zoo because it is free on Tuesday! We left Mount Juliet around 4pm on Monday, made a couple of stops and made it there safe and soundly. We were really exhausted from the trip so we hung out for a little while but then we went straight to bed.

The next day, Tuesday, was the real adventure. We all woke up and got ready for the day. We had planned to leave by a certain time to make to eat breakfast, meet our friend, and head to Headquarters on time. However, plans never go as you expect them to. Gracie and I   were ready so we went to get in the car and waited on Kayla (like when are we not) and watched as something that could have (but didn’t) ruined our day. Sara’s dog ran out of the apartment as Kayla was walking out and Kayla shut the door behind her and Rachel was standing outside. Gracie and I couldn’t hear what Kayla and Rachel were saying but we could sort of read their lips and guess what was to happen next. The door automatically locks when it is shut. Kayla didn’t realize that when she shut the door and all Rachel’s things, including the key for us, were inside. We could have gone on with our day and figured this problem out later if it wasn’t for the dog being outside. Long story short, we get back in with the help of the maintenance man, after standing in the freezing cold, but it pushed our time back by an hour. However, we made the most of it and if it didn’t push us back with our time, we would have never had our day go like it did.

We has time to kill before we could go to Headquarters, so we went and picked up our friend Destiny, found a breakfast place called Staks and enjoyed a wonderful brunch.



I wish I had taken more pictures of this place because it was beautiful. The walls were painted turquoise and there were booths that lined all of the walls, a few white tables were in the middle of the floor with clear chairs, and there were even a few tables with grills to make your own pancakes in front of you. There were white lights fixtures and the place felt so warm and cozy. The owners told us that Staks had only been opened for a few months but it seemed pretty successful to us. I ordered a couple of chocolate chip pancakes, some bacon, and a coffee. It was delicious.

Then we went to this cute little store next door to Staks, called The Pink Door. It was a sorority girls dream in there because it was filled with Lilly Pulitzer and Kate Spade items. It was so cute. We looked around, bought a few things, and headed off to the next stop, Headquarters.

3205 Players Lane Memphis, TN an address I know just as well as my own and I was so excited to finally get to visit it. The outside was beautiful.



We met our Chapter Service Coordinator and she took pictures of and with us. Kappa Delta means a lot to me. It holds almost all of my college memories and has shaped me into a better version of myself. So to get to see where the headquarters was was very, very cool. We explored the inside and talked to and had the pleasure to meet some ladies that worked there and help make our chapter so great. It was a very great experience.

Then, we went to the Memphis Zoo, and we arrived there right around 2:30 p.m., not knowing that free entry’s on Tuesdays start at 2:00p.m, and we all thought about how that morning we were delayed because of the certain circumstances. I thought it was neat that everything happens for a reason, and the reason we got pushed back on time that mourning, was to get to the Zoo at that time, otherwise we would have gotten there too early and would have to wait to get in.



I have been to a few Zoos’ in my lifetime and that was definitely the best one. I felt like I was right upon the animals and there were so many! The weather wasn’t even bad either. Sure it was cold, but it wasn’t unbearable, and there was hardly anyone there at all which made the experience more enjoyable for us. We explored for a few hours and headed back to the apartment.

We arrived back at the apartment, rested for a little while, then changed and got ready for dinner in the town. Sara drove us around first and that’s when we discovered The National Civil Rights Museum and decided we had to go there before heading home the next morning. We had dinner at Babalu and wow, it was amazing. They had smooth, mouth watering, White Sangria too. It was a modern style restaurant and I ordered the Baba Burger. Definitely one of the best burgers I have ever put in my mouth.  It was a natural Angus Beef burger, with roasted tomatoes, white cheddar cheese, apple wood smoked bacon, & chipotle aioli, on a sweet sourdough bun with rice and beans as a side. We had avocado and cheese dip for appetizers. It was a great meal and if I ever catch myself in Memphis again I will go back.





After our meal, we headed back to Sara and Tim’s apartment and watched The Bachelor, went to bed, and got our stuff together to leave for the next day (no delays on time this time).

The next morning, we headed to Starbucks, and then went to The Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel. I love learning about interesting history so the museum was a pretty cool experience. An assassin shot and killed King on the balcony of King’s room in the motel addition of the hotel and it was so cool because it was turned into the museum.


I recommend it to anyone. I learned a lot about black history that I thought I already knew growing up and I stood right outside the room 306, were Martin Luther King Jr. was shot in. The museum was very vivid, there was statues of people that were so life-like, there was so much reading about the history of civil rights, and if we weren’t in more of a hurry to get home, I really think I could have spent all day in there learning and exploring the history of it all. The part that stood out to me the most was that the bus that visitors could climb in and sit in. A statue of Rosa Parks set in it, and a statue of the bus driver was at the front. When you walked into the bus, a voice came over the intercom, “Please move to the back of the bus.” over and over it played, and the bus driver kept speaking to Rosa but she wouldn’t move, then another voice came over the intercom explaining the history of that moment.

(room 306)IMG_0151


We jammed a lot into a few days but we had an incredible trip that we all really enjoyed. Thanks to Memphis and Sara and Tim.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s