I got inspired reading some of my fellow bloggers posts that were made into lists and I decided to make a list of my own. Something that has been on my mind a lot is how much I am growing up. It’s crazy to think my life is completely different from how it was just a couple of years ago when I was in high school. Since I’ve started college I have learned some pretty valuable lessons. I just thought I would share some things that have been on my mind.
1. A pretty penny can get you a long way. I went from only paying for my own gas when I lived at home to paying for my own rent, groceries, bills, sorority bill and everything else. So any coupon, discount code, or deal I can find, I take advantage of, because a pretty penny really can get you a long way. I try to maintain a budget, but I’m really just a broke college kid trying to survive.
2. I would rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies. In high school I had this large group of friends and I really thought I was so close to all of them. Now I have come to realize that it’s not about how many friends I have. Though I am appreciative of every single friendship in my life, I know there’s only a few people I can truly trust and count on and I am completely okay and happy with that fact.
3. College isn’t for everyone. College is hard. It takes a lot of time, a lot of effort, and A LOT of money (that I don’t have). Not everyone can take on the challenge but that’s okay too.
4. The small things are the big things. Sometime last year I was in the Starbucks line and when I reached the window to pay, the cashier told me the person in front of me paid for my bill. That made my whole week. The smallest things can mean so much.
5. Family is everything. School is stressful and challenging and I am always so busy. I feel like at school I’m in a whole different world from home. So when I actually get a chance to go home for a weekend, sit around with my parents, go out to dinner with them, go to church with my mom, I enjoy it and appreciate it so much more now than ever before.
6. High school friends. It’s okay to have some high school friends but a great way to reinvent yourself is to make new friends too.
7. Go to class. Attending class is actually pretty important. The classes I have skipped a lot, I know I would’ve done better in.
8. I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T, do you know what that means? I have grown out of my shell. I’ve sat by random people in class and always try to get to know people. I believe that this is the place I’ll meet some people who I will never forget. I go out and things on my own for once and talk to people I have never met. I like it.
9. Leggings are pants. I always wanted to dress cute in high school. Now I wear t-shirts and leggings to class everyday and it’s awesome.
10. What you get out is what you put in. This is what they have been saying in my sorority for years & it’s so true. If you want to make friends, do it. If you wanna have fun, do it. If you wanna enjoy life, then just do it.
11. A night of solitude. I love living my crazy, sociable, college life but every once in a while I just want a night alone, to take a bubble bath, to read a book, to watch a movie, ALL BY MYSELF.
12. Laundry. I’ve learned as long as you don’t spill anything on them, you can go more than a few wears before washing your pants…or shirt…or anything really.
13. Coffee addict. I always enjoyed coffee as a treat but now, while I am at school, I really can’t go a day without it.
14. Student cheats. I’ve learned how to make a good grade in class without reading or even buying the textbook (and not cheating). 🙂
15. You can’t live with everyone. I’ve learned that living in a house full of girls that are your best friends probably isn’t the smartest idea but that doesn’t mean you can’t stay best friends when you all move out of that house in a year.
16. Professors do care. I have learned how to talk to a professor outside of the classroom and during office hours…. because that is where you will learn the most from them. If you do that, they’ll like you, if they like you, they’ll care.
17. Call home. I may call home a lot but at least I call at all. I am so appreciative that they are always there to put up with me when I need them to be.
18. Free food. There’s always events with free food…. and I enjoy to find those events.
19. Freshman 15. It’s a real thing 😦
20. GPA. Though it’s hard… I am learning that my GPA doesn’t define who I am.
21. Hood rat things. I have learned some of my most favorite memories are driving around town with my best friends, blasting music, and being dumb.
22. Make the most of every moment. Things don’t always go the way you want them to. Life is short, I have learned to make the most of every moment and be happy, because why would I wast my time worrying about anything else?
23. Costume parties. Parties are just more fun if you’re in costume.
24. Communication. Share your life experiences with others. everyone is different. You have experiences other people don’t have. Other people have experiences that you don’t have. Discuss them. Learn from each other. It’s a wonderful thing.
25. A good night’s sleep is not overrated. Sometimes it’s nice to catch up with your sleep.
26. You will get invited to more than one event on the same day..at the same time. Choose what is most important to you. Be happy with that choice.
27. Ramen is actually disgusting. I don’t care how cheap they are, I would rather spend an extra dollar or two on easy mac.
28. All you can do is do your best. I have had a lot of things not go my way but I’m staying positive and learning from those experiences. I know I gave them my all.
29. College is fun. I love it and I hate it. Though it’s hard and stressful and challenging and everything else, it’s been the best time of my life so far and I really don’t want to leave(or maybe I do because it’s so hard).
30. A whole new woooorld. I’ve learned that I have learned some pretty valuable lessons but I am only a sophomore in college. There’s a whole new world out there for me and I can’t wait to explore it and learn about it one day. Maybe I’ll make another similar post in the future.